Thursday 26 August 2010

Knitted bookmarks


No wrong side bookmark.
No wrong side knitted bookmark.
  I know I said we'd have a sock post today but I was talking to a friend last night about doing cables and bookmarks came up so here's a post on knitted bookmarks. My friend who pushed me into knitting in the round is pushing me into learning to knit cables, god bless her little cotton socks.
 

    We talked about simple cable projects when bookmarks were mentioned and I realised I had missed two of my sisters birthdays last month, oopsie. I had promised one I'd do her a bookmark so I'm now looking for two simple cabled bookmarks.
 knitted no wrong side bookmark

  This bookmark I did a short while ago everyone loved. Of all the presents I've knitted this bookmark seems to be the favorite so next time your thinking of knitting a present and umming and arrghing about which expensive yarn to buy to do that sweater sometimes the little things with a bit of left over yarn are best.
knitted bookmark

The bookmark was done from this pattern  . I did a couple of these in different yarns because I was having trouble with my knit to purls, the purls were leaving pretty big hole next to the knit stitches for some reason. A problem that crops up from time to time for me. I can do purls fine but sometimes going from a knit to a purl stitch will leave a big hole, most times it doesn't.
No wrong side knitted bookmark
   I did the pictured bookmark in the same cotton I used for the bib on 3mm needles, to see needle sizes either click on the drop down menu which will show you at a glance. You can also click on any size on the drop down menu and it will take you to the conversion page or you can just click the link at the top.
  The cotton produced a very nice weighted bookmark that's very good for keeping the pages open. I did this for my moms birthday present and she loved it. Have since knitted another one for a different sister but I used a lighter yarn and don't feel its as practical, still looks nice though. I'd suggest doing it in a heavyish yarn.
A pretty quick knit that isn't all that hard to do.

   I'll let you know what I'm doing with the next bookmarks once I find a couple of easy nice cables to do, looks like my weekends already planned.
Knitted bookmark


Click the images to enlarge, I'll get the sock post I promised up next week sometime.

No comments: