Friday 16 July 2010

Jumper/sweater Rectangela

Click images to enlarge, apart from the top one. I broke it.

 
This is my first jumper/sweater I ever knitted. Only finished it a couple of weeks ago, took me about 7 weeks. Its a very simple design done in two pieces. The sleeves and yoke are knitted in one piece side to side, left to right. The neck hole is done by using an extra ball of yarn to knit one side while using the original ball to knit the other side as you go along.
 The lower body part was done in one piece in the round in stocking stitch apart from the hem that is a garter ridge(k1 row, p1 row). The original pattern is done in two pieces, 3 pieces in all(lower 1front 2back and 3arms & yoke)
Click to enlarge
 Here is the original pattern ,Rectangela, I based the sweater/jumper on, of course being me I made a few changes. The arms and yoke in the original are done is seed stitch, I did mine in moss stitch. There was no shaping in the original pattern, I did some very minor shaping. I increased from the wrist to the yoke then decreased back done to the wrist and changed the size of the needles I used along the way, not a lot just about 2 inches from the wrist to the yoke. I also did a tiny bit of decreasing in the bottom half of the body so it flairs out slightly. I also made the neck smaller.
Click to enlarge

 The yarn I used is 90% wool and 10% silk.I got the yarn off eBay on a cone of about 900g. Think is was meant to be for knitting machines, it was pretty cheap at £13.
 Things I learned.
I can do big projects, the neck line/hole had me confused when reading the pattern but was really simple in the end. Mattress stitch, yes this was the first time I've used the mattress stitch. I'm normally a tight knitter but doing the sleeves and yoke all in moss stitch (about 5 feet long and 15 to 17" wide) loosened my knitting up, lets hope it stays that way.
Click to enlarge

Click images to enlarge, apart from the top one. I broke it.

(ETA) the jumper wasn't for me it was a gift to someone. The only thing I ever manage to knit for myself is socks. It does fit me nicely though doesn't it

No comments: